You have no items in your cart.
The best baked donuts!
These delicious donuts are made from a yeast dough and can be baked in the oven. I have included two different methods for making these donuts. Scroll down and read the full method before you start as one is to leave the dough proving overnight in the fridge to be baked the next day or alternatively you can follow the steps for a same day bake. This is a great donut recipe for adults and kids as there is no messing around with hot cooking oil, and it's a healthier option with no compromise on texture and taste. They are so soft and yummy. Just keep a close eye on them baking, don't over bake. Don't leave out the nutmeg, it makes a huge difference. These are very simlar to a krispy kreme donut. You can choose from the toppings included and you can also finish off with chocolate shavings or sprinkles.
- Food mixer/hand mixed
- Baking trays plus baking paper
- Two circle cutters ( Small and large to cut the donut shape. You can also use a piping nozzle for the small shape)
- Mixing Bowl
- Cling Wrap and tea towel
- Weighing scales
- Measuring spoons
- Dough scraper or spatula
- Rolling Pin
- Whisk or fork
- 280 g plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 40 g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg (50 g)
- 130 g fresh milk
- 40 g melted butter
- 7 g fast action yeast (1 packet)
Toppings - Vanilla Glaze
- 80 g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- 20 g melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Toppings - Chocolate Icing
- 80 g icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk
- 20 g melted butter
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Optional - Grated chocolate or sprinkles can be added to make them look pretty and look especially good for a party. You can also add food coluring to the vanilla glaze but omit the milk for a better colour.
Baked Donuts - Overnight method - Day One
Day One - Prepare the dough. Because baking sometimes needs a bit of extra time and care you can prepare the dough mixture the day/night before. This means it has plenty of time to prove and develop the flavours. It also means you have less to do the following day!
- In a large bowl add the flour, nutmeg, sugar and salt.
- In a separate jug add the milk, egg, melted butter and yeast. Mix together.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture gradually until its all combined
- Using your dough scraper or spatula bring all the dough together into a ball shape.
- Clean your bowl and put a smear of oil/butter inside your bowl to prevent the dough from sticking.
- Place the ball of dough back into the oiled bowl and cover with cling film and a tea towel. Leave it to prove at room temperature for two hours or until it rises to double its size.
- Place the bowl in the fridge and leave overnight.
Baked Donuts - Overnight method - Day Two
- Prepare the baking trays with a sheets of baking paper
- Remove the prepared dough from the fridge
- Sprinkle the countertop with flour and empty the dough on it
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough out to about a quarter of an inch
- If it keeps springing back leave the dough to settle for five minutes and roll again
- Using your large circle cutter cut a circle shape and using your piping nozzle or small circle cutter cut a small circle shape in the centre.
- Continue until you have used up all your dough.
- The small leftover circle inserts can be used for mini donuts.
- Place your donuts on the tray, cover with a tea towel and prove for an hour until they become puffy looking. The donuts will rise in size and look softer. If you have a prove setting on your oven ( 30 - 40 degrees) you can prove for 20 minutes instead.
- Bake the donuts at 180 degrees for 10 minutes. They should be a very light colour, don't let them go too dark or they will be dry. While they are baking make the glaze.
Baked donuts - Same day method. The method is vey similar. The only difference is that you knead the dough until springy, ferment for up to two hours and don't refrigerate. After the first rise all the other steps are the same.
- Follow the steps in the overnight method above to mix the ingredients.
- Knead the mixture for 10 minutes by hand or the dough function on your electric mixer.
- Follow instructions to prove as above but after it has risen for two hours do not refrigerate.
- Follow instructions as above to roll and cut.
- Follow instructionas as above in overnight method to prove and bake.
Toppings - Method - Vanilla or Chocolate Glaze. Choose one topping or do both they are both made the same way.
- Place all the ingredients for the glaze together in a bowl and mix with a whisk or fork.
- Dip the freshly baked donuts into the glaze. Put them on a wired rack to dry for a couple of minutes. These donuts are best eaten fresh out of the oven on the same day.
- If you would like to add colour use a few drops of food colouring gel to the vanilla glaze but omit the milk.
- Before they dry sprinkle with grated chocolate or sprinkles if desired.
- This is the really fun bit so go all out! White chocolate, sprinkles, caramel pieces whatever you want to add for your special occasion.
- The best part - lick the bowl and taste those toppings! Tag us on social media with your bakes. @devotedtocakes #devotedtocakes https://www.instagram.com/devotedtocakes/