4 Reasons sponge cakes can go wrong.
I have put together some handy guidelines to help you.
To get consistently good sponge cakes, try these tips.
BAKING SPONGE CAKES
4 common mistakes
1. Ingredients are at the wrong temperature
- Everything needs to be at room temperature. Adding cold butter or eggs can make the mix curdle.
2. Not enough air
- Not incorporating enough air will make the sponge heavy and dense. When creaming the butter and sugar your incorporate air to make it rise. It should lose its yellow look and have a creamy and smooth consistency.
3. Adding too much egg too soon
- Add beaten eggs a tiny bit at a time and make sure its completely mixed in and smooth before you add more egg. When adding the last amount of egg add a tablespoon of flour from your weighed flour.
4. Your oven is the wrong temperature
- If your oven is on a too high temperature the cake will rise too fast and crack at the top. It will also brown too quickly. An oven thermometer is great to make sure your oven is calibrated.