Focaccia! Garlic, rosemary, parmesan, olives, and sea salt! I will be enjoying this later with a glass of wine.
Focaccia should be light, a little chewy, crispy at the edges and full of flavour! Perfect for pre dinner drinks, picnics or even school lunches!
I have a few different methods of making this but I find this one is really handy as you can make the dough the night before.
Overnight Focaccia Bread
- Large bowl, baking tray, oven, large plastic bag.
- 500 g strong white flour
- 10 g salt
- 3 g fast action dried yeast
- 400 g water (warm water from the tap)
- 50 g extra virgin olive oil (and extra for drizzling)
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 handful olives
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
Day One - Prepare the dough - Autolyse method
- Place the flour in a mixing bowl
- Add the salt and yeast being careful not to let them come into direct contact with each other.
- Add all the water. The water can be used warm from the tap, not boiling.
- Combine the water with the other ingredients. Make sure all the flour is mixed in well and give it a rough round shape. It will be very sticky, This is good.
- In a separate large clean mixing bowl add the extra virgin olive oil.
- Transfer the dough and stretch and fold the dough until its loses its stretch. About 4/5 times.
- Cover your bowl with cloth or cling wrap and leave to prove at room temp for 45 mins - 1 hour. it will have doubled in size.
- Transfer to the fridge and leave overnight.
Day Two - Shape and Bake
- Remove the dough from the fridge and leave at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your tray with a sheet of baking paper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Turn the dough onto the tray.
- Fold NSEW again and turn the dough over to the smooth side.
Prove the dough
- Cover it with a large plastic bag and leave to prove at room temp for 30 minutes.
Prepare the toppings
- Meanwhile prepare your toppings: Grate parmesan, crush garlic and prepare the olives by slicing them in half and removing stones if necessary.
- Toss your toppings in a little oil.
- When the dough is ready press indents into it with all your fingers ( like playing a piano.)
- Add the toppings to the dough by pushing them into the indents. Brush the dough with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake at 220 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until it is golden brown in colour. You can also check the bottom; it should be a light brown colour.