Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake
How lemony do you like lemon cake? I really like to taste that zing and the lemon syrup certainly does that. This is my favourite cake of all time. it can be made in a 2lb loaf tin or a round cake tin if you prefer. Perfect for a summer get together.
- Electric mixer, 2 lb loaf tin, baking parchment, spatula, oven, wooden skewer
- 250 g plain flour
- 1 tsp 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp 3 tsp poppy seeds
- 225 g 225g butter
- 200 g 200 g caster sugar
- 1 finely grated lemon zest
- 150 g eggs 3 medium eggs
- 2 tbsp emon juice
- 70g lemon juice
- 60g caster sugar
LEMON POPPY SEED LOAF CAKE
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
- Line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper
- Using an electric mixer or wooden spoon cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy
- Lightly beat the eggs
- Gradually add the beaten egg and mix really well after each addition.
- Gradually add the flour and baking powder and mix on slow speed.
- Add the lemon rind and lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Pour the cake mixture into your prepared tin.
- Bake at 160 degrees celsius for 45 mins-1 hr.
- In a pot dissolve the lemon juice and caster sugar over a medium heat. Leave aside to cool.
- Using a skewer pierce holes all over the cake. (2/3 depth of cake) Brush the lemon syrup all over the cake until its all gone. The syrup will seep into the cake. Leave to cool in the tin.