You have no items in your cart.
Mixed Berry and Almond Cake
This is a delcious moist fruity cake and the additon of almond flakes give it a lovely crunchy top. I used frozen berries which is so handy as you can make it all year round. The key trick is to toss the berries in some flour before adding them to the mixture. This will prevent them from sinking. Garnish with mint leaves and a dollop of cream!
- Electric mixer, oven, round cake tin 7/8 inch, baking parchment, newspaper.
- 150 g self raising flour
- 100 g ground almonds
- 300 g frozen berries
- 175 g butter
- 175 g caster sugar
- 100 g eggs 2 medium
- 1 small handful flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius.
- Line the cake tin with parchment paper.
- You can prevent the sides from browning too much by wrapping some sheets of damp newspaper around the cake tin and tieing it with some string.
- Take a couple of tablespoons from your weighed flour and toss the frozen berries in the flour to coat them.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in an electric mixer until light and fluffy
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add the eggs a tiny amount at a time and mix well after each addtion.
- Add the ground almonds and then the flour and mix in with a spatula.
- Gently fold in the berries.
- Put the mixture into the cake tin and smooth down the top.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top.
- Bake at 160 degrees for about 40 minutes until cooked through. You can ccheck if its done by inserting a skewer into it. If it comes out clean the cake is baked.