Parmesan Pesto Rolls
We are continuing our perfect picnic bakes this weekend with another favourite recipe. These work really well for school lunches too and are delicious with a cream cheese. If you try them tag us in your social posts.
- Weighing scales
- Bowl wrap/cling wrap/ tea towel
- Baking trays and paper
- Pizza cutter / sharp knife
- 250 g strong white flour
- 10 g butter at room temp
- 4 g fast action dried yeast
- 5 g caster sugar
- 5 g salt
- 50 g milk
- 90 g warm water
- 80 g pesto
- 40 g parmesan cheese grated
For the top
- 20 g sesame seeds
- 1 egg
Make the dough
- Mix flour and salt together in a bowl.
- Rub in the butter with your finger tips.
- Mix in the remaining ingredient;sugar, yeast, water and milk.
- Mix to form a soft dough.
- Knead by hand for 10-12 minutes or 8 minutes on medium setting on your electric mixer. It should be soft and springy to touch.
- Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a tea-towel/cling wrap and leave to ferment for 1 hour. The dough should have doubled in size. Remove from the bowl.
- Roll out the dough on your counter top in a large rectangle shape. The thickness should be 1/4 inch. Try not to use any flour. If it sticks sprinkle a tiny bit on your counter but too much flour can make your dough tough.
- Using a knife or spatula smooth the pesto over the dough.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Fold one side over the other. See video
- Cut into 7 strips.
- Twist them together, tie a knot and hide the seam underneath. See video for technique.
- Place them on your prepared baking tray.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with seseme seeds and parmesan.
- Cover and leave to prove for 45 mins. They should look nice and puffy.
- Bake at 210 degrees celsius for 20 minutes
We hope you enjoyed our recipe. If you try this recipe tag us on social or leave a review below.Thanks and enjoy, Loraine